A student lying on a physio bed with another student working on their leg

SPORT & EXERCISE SCIENCE

EXTENDED CERTIFICATE

Course Duration
2 Years

Entry Criteria
Grade Merit or above in Level 2 BTEC Sports or GCSE PE at Grade 4 or above.

Home » Welcome to our Sixth Form » Curriculum subjects » Vocational (L3) Sport and Exercise Science – Extended Certificate

Why study Level 3 Sport and exercise science ?

What will I study during the course duration?

Everyone taking this qualification will study three mandatory units, covering the following content areas: Functional Anatomy; Applied Sport and Exercise Psychology; Coaching for Performance and Fitness. 

You will also complete one of the optional units; Biomechanics in Sport and Exercise Science; Specialised Fitness Training; Physical Activity for Individual and Group-Based Exercise, which have been designed to support progression to a variety of sport courses in higher education, and to link with relevant occupational areas.

We have forged strong community connections with both the University of Kent and Canterbury Christ Church University where students are able to access specialist guest speakers and complete related research in university laboratories. Students also play a significant role in supporting the planning and running of sporting events to other students from both the Academy and local primary schools.

How will I be assessed?

A range of assessment methods are used throughout the course. These include two external assessments (58% of the total qualification is assessed externally through examinations). The remaining 42% is assessed internally by the use of internally assessed units which are based on realistic workplace situations, activities and demands and will be completed in various forms including; written documents, practical assessments, verbal presentations, videos, case studies and group projects. Formative feedback will be provided following the submission of coursework which is both internally and externally verified for quality control purposes. 

Career opportunities and Future study

This qualification lends itself to a range of career pathways in sports and fitness as well as other industries and these will be regularly discussed throughout the duration of the course. The requirements of the qualification mean that you will develop transferable skills that are highly regarded by higher education and employers.

Degree Pathways

The qualification carries UCAS points and, when completed alongside other level 3 qualifications, is recognised by higher education providers as contributing to admission requirements to many relevant sport science or related courses, for example a: 

  • BSc (Hons) in Sport and Exercise Science, if taken alongside A levels in Biology and Psychology 
  • BSc (Hons) in Sport Psychology, if taken alongside BTEC Applied Science and A Level Psychology 
  • BA (Hons) Applied Sport Science, if taken alongside A Level Maths and a BTEC in Applied Science. 
Career Pathways

Possible career pathways that are both directly and indirectly linked to the qualification include:

  • Exercise physiologist
  • Personal trainer
  • Secondary school teacher
  • Sports coach
  • Sports therapist
  • Clinical scientist, cardiac sciences
  • Higher education lecturer
  • Outdoor activities manager
  • Fitness centre manager
  • Primary school teacher
  • Sports administrator
  • Sports development officer
  • Choreographer
  • Health improvement practitioner
  • Nutritionist
  • Sport and exercise psychologist